Church Golden Jubilee
1984 – Jubilee Year
In October 1984, the Church was solemnly dedicated by Bishop Wheeler, on the 50th Anniversary of the laying of the foundation stone by Bishop Cowgill in 1934. A special Anniversary Glass was engraved and presented to the Bishop.
Monsignor Basil Loftus, parish Priest at the time, had the church renovated and restored for the occasion. Four new lanterns were installed, depicting the symbols of the four Gospel writers. The altar was adapted from the original altar that had stood against the back wall and was removed from the church in 1959.
Before and after restoration.
Our Lady Immaculate